The holiday season is just around the corner and we can’t wait to make holiday cookies, wear crazy holiday sweaters and spend time with friends and family. Holiday stress will develop no matter what because there just isn’t enough time for everything. Lake Health's Integrative Medicine team offers these tips on how to reduce the stress and enjoy the holiday season:
Write it down
With only two months to fit in all the fun activities, we try to agree to do everything. But trying to remember every plan made and your to-do list is impossible. To reduce the stress that comes from forgetting, write everything down.
So that your plans and to-do list are always easy to access:
- Create your to-do list in your phone’s notes app.
- Put your plans in your phone’s calendar.
The perfect menu
We often think the perfect menu makes for a perfect holiday event. But this creates stress because we want everyone to be happy. To reduce stress and save time:
- Try to find recipes that meet everyone’s individual needs and likes ahead of time.
- Create the menu before going to the grocery store, which is stressful during the holiday season.
- When shopping, maintain your holiday spirit with breathing techniques to keep calm.
Take care of yourself
The holidays aren’t just for spending time with friends and family; they’re also a time to take care of yourself.
- Give yourself a holiday gift, such as:
- Scheduling an appointment for a much needed massage.
- Taking an afternoon off to read a book that you’ve wanted to finish.
- Make time for yourself to gain the energy to finish your to-do list.
- Get at least seven to eight hours of sleep to reduce fatigue and irritability.
- Recognize what you can and can’t control, and don’t agree to do more than you reasonably can.
Stick to your budget
Sometimes we go over our budgets because we want to get the perfect present or participate in holiday activities. To stick to your budget this season:
- Create separate budgets for presents, holiday activities and groceries.
- Do research on the presents you know will be expensive.
- Use coupons and discounts for holiday activities. Companies such as Groupon®, offering discounts on things to do, are a great option to save money.
To learn more or to schedule an appointment with a wellness coach at the Lake Health Brunner Sanden Deitrick Wellness Campus, call 440-701-7537.