Dr. Ben-Meir explains to all his patients at the beginning of their weight-loss journey that bariatric surgery will be successful only if they commit to hard work. Bariatric surgery is not a quick or permanent fix if the patient isn’t willing to dedicate effort to losing weight and keeping it off.
However, when a patient does commit to this lifestyle, not only will they shed pounds, but they will also experience what we call Non-scale Victories (NSVs). An NSV is a regular, everyday moment in which a patient unexpectedly finds joy in something that would have been difficult or even impossible before bariatric surgery.
Here, we share a few of our favorite NSVs as told to us by our post-operative patients at their follow-up visits in the office.
1. I can fasten the seat belt in my car and my stomach doesn’t touch the steering wheel.
2. I no longer need a seat belt extender when I fly on an airplane.
3. I can ride a roller coaster.
4. Today, I crossed my legs.
5. I’m saving $200 a month on medication costs.
6. I sleep so well.
SIDENOTE: In 2013, researchers confirmed a link between obesity and Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA). Further research that included 69 studies and almost 14,000 bariatric patients showed 75% of subjects experienced an improvement of their OSA after surgery.
7. I was able to get pregnant, even though my doctors told me I may never have children.
8. My body and joints don’t hurt anymore.
9. I’m excited to go out and have a social life.
10. I feel happier and much more self-confident.
11. I can wear high heels.
12. I can practically run up a flight of stairs.
13. I have the energy to wash and wax my car.
14. I can tie my shoes.
If you’re ready and truly dedicated to putting in the work to drop pounds and sizes as well as experience your own NSVs, Dr. Ben-Meir and his team at Lake Health are here to help. Weight loss begins with a single step. Let’s take that step together.